Benefits for participants
Permaculture will provide you with skills to develop solutions that are appropriate for your own neighbourhood -your own ecosystem. E.g.:
- greater food sovereignty
- food and drinking water security & quality assurance
- more efficient use of natural resources
- energy security
- more sustainable an resilient community life
- practical community development & social cohesion
- teaching traditional culture, knowledge & skills
- more autonomy and security in essential services, products and materials
- ways of social organisation that suit your own community’s needs and abilities
The course will not provide you with any ready-made solutions. Instead you will rediscover your personal strengths and skills in solving the challenges you face every day. You will also learn to appreciate the collective intelligence of your group and the genius of Nature – who’s been doing this kind of thing for billions of years 😉 You will develop your skills in creating solutions for the long run as well as immediate improvements to your personal and community’s life.
You will experience the relief and delight of letting go of the struggle against Nature. Following the patterns of Nature, letting Nature do the work is so much more satisfying and rewarding than e.g. switching Nature off and taking on the burdens of providing ecosystem services.
WARNING: This PDC will change your life and the way you experience the world. Instead of problems you will see opportunities. Recognising and acknowledging the limits of the Real World you will see infinite possibilities for wealth, health & happiness everywhere.
Benefits for Statia
- Climate forest: for each participant we will plant a tree (or clumping bamboo) towards the reforestation of the island. We will select trees that provide multiple functions like food, healthcare, building materials, shelter, habitat for native animal species. First choice will be species native to the island, then native to the region and finally compatible with other native species. We will avoid the introduction of invasive species.
- Local food security: through practical fieldwork you will contribute to the development of local food supply. It will also help raise the status of working in agriculture within the local community and provide youth with successful examples of rewarding and fulfilling education and employment opportunities on the island.
- Healthy economic development: by participating in the course you will actively and substantially contribute to an innovative small-scale educational tourism industry. It has limited physical impact on the resources of the island, in fact: the more these resources are used the more benefits they yield. The course creates its own niche in the natural and cultural ecosystem of the island, optimizing thus far underused resources.
- Cultural enrichment: by engaging with local people in a cultural exchange you will enrich both yourself and the local community. Being exposed to people from other cultures -in the proper context- will contribute to a healthy perspective on the identity of the local community as well as its place in the world. We learn to appreciate our own strengths and assimilate the best of others.