The purpose of the Permanaut in Residence @ the Botan is:
- Develop available resources like: land, trees, water, sunlight and people to generate:
- sustainable livelihood foor STENAPA staff
- provide innovative and improved services to visitor
- improving the resilience and biodiversity of the Botanical Garden.
- Best practice for permaculture design is for the designer to live on-site 24/7 as permanaut* in residence to better learn the behaviour and intrinsic properties of the place, people, plants and other creatures, weather etc.
- Specific projects the PinR is doing:
- renovation of the Visitor Centre
- updating water & power systems
- developing food and utility plant systems
- developing ecologically responsible and resilient enterprise
- developing learning environments and events. E.g.: training of volunteers introducing permaculture design in management of public spaces and natural environment conservation.
*Permanaut: practitioner of permaculture design and education (Fransjan de Waard).